Today, I’ll be showing you how to enable GPU Acceleration in Sony Vegas Pro 11 ! Before we get into the details, keep in mind that to have the ability to enable GPU Acceleration in Sony Vegas Pro 11 you will need a graphics card that is supported for this. Don’t worry about checking this online, when we try to enable GPU Acceleration in Vegas Pro 11 we’ll find out whether or not your graphics card will allow it!
To enable GPU Acceleration in Sony Vegas Pro 11 we’ll do the following:
- Open Sony Vegas Pro 11 (this one’s kind of obvious).
- Click on the “Options” drop down menu at the top of the Vegas Pro 11 window.
- From the “Options” drop down menu, go to “Preferences”, which is usually at the bottom of the list.
- When the “Preferences” window pops up, navigate to the “Video” tab.
- From the “Video” tab, the third option in the window should be “GPU Acceleration of video processing” . Click on the drop down menu for this, and select your graphics card. (If your drop down menu only says “OFF” scroll down to the “Problems” section below.)
- Once you have your graphics card selected, click “Apply” and then “OK”. Take note that you will have to restart Vegas for the GPU Acceleration option to register.
- Now you have GPU Acceleration enabled.
If you go to Media Generators/Video FX/Transitions, collapse all the menu’s into their folders. You’ll see a folder called “GPU Acceleration” in each of the above sections mentioned. If you expand this folder, you’ll find media generators/video fx/transitions that can benefit from GPU acceleration in Vegas Pro 11 ! Your preview will also benefit from the GPU acceleration, meaning you can preview at better quality with less “lag”. GPU Acceleration will also help improve rendering times for .avc files.
SIDE NOTE: Is your Vegas editing software up to date? As of October 2016, VEGAS Pro 14 has been released! Have you updated? New features include:
- Video effects from NewBlueFX
- Motion tracking with Boris FX BCC Match Move Unit
- 3D object creation and manipulation
- Advanced chroma keying
- ...and more!
If you don’t have another option for “GPU Acceleration of video processing” and it only says “OFF”, then you need to check the following:
- You are running the most recent version / build of Vegas Pro .
- Your driver is functioning perfectly and is fully updated.
- Your graphics card is supported. (Info on supported graphics cards for GPU Acceleration can be found here.)